What is counseling and what can I expect?
Counseling is working together with a therapist to gain:
- Help to understand yourself
- New ways of thinking
- Methods to solve problems
- A safe space to express yourself
- Ways to make healthy changes in life
You can expect a lot from counseling including:
- Someone who will listen to you
- Setting a goal(s) to work toward during services
- Challenge to work on skills outside of sessions
How long is counseling?
Typically, counseling will last about 16-20 sessions. These one on one sessions with your therapist are scheduled for 50-60 minutes weekly. However, it is not uncommon to schedule sessions to meet therapeutic and financial needs.
You may choose from in person, video/telehealth, or phone sessions.
What do you need to do for counseling?
- Attend each session
- Be open to a new experience
- Be honest